Custer County Chronicle

Home   »  News

Bookmark and Share

Email This Article  

Family of four loses home in trailer fire

Jason Ferguson
Published: Thursday, January 24th, 2013

The frame of the trailer of John and April Miller is virtually all that remains of the structure after it caught fire last Thursday. A wood burning stove is suspected to be the cause of the fire.

 

By Jason Ferguson
Sifting through the ashes of what was left of his trailer and belongings, John Miller thought he could salvage bunk beds that his children slept on at the rear of his trailer that burned at Triple T Trailer Court Jan. 17.
“Everything we can salvage is in the back of a pickup,” he said.â��“Nothing made it.”
 His friend and neighbor, Kelon Hardwick, checked inside the scorched dryer that sat outside the trailer for the possibility that some clothing survived the fire. They too, were badly burned.
Now, Miller, along with his wife, April, and their two daughters, ages 6 and 4, will stay with April’s family in Rapid City until they figure out where they will live. The two have another child, a son, on the way.
Custer Volunteer Fire Department chief Joel Behlings said the call on the fire came in to the department at about 1:40 p.m. When they arrived on scene, the fire was still in the east end—the kitchen area—of the trailer. Shortly thereafter, as is usually the case with trailers, the fire completely consumed the structure.

Sifting through the ashes of what was left of his trailer and belongings, John Miller thought he could salvage bunk beds that his children slept on at the rear of his trailer that burned at Triple T Trailer Court Jan. 17.

“Everything we can salvage is in the back of a pickup,” he said.â��“Nothing made it.”

 His friend and neighbor, Kelon Hardwick, checked inside the scorched dryer that sat outside the trailer for the possibility that some clothing survived the fire. They too, were badly burned.

Now, Miller, along with his wife, April, and their two daughters, ages 6 and 4, will stay with April’s family in Rapid City until they figure out where they will live. The two have another child, a son, on the way.

Custer Volunteer Fire Department chief Joel Behlings said the call on the fire came in to the department at about 1:40 p.m. When they arrived on scene, the fire was still in the east end—the kitchen area—of the trailer. Shortly thereafter, as is usually the case with trailers, the fire completely consumed the structure.

Available only in the print version of the Custer County Chronicle. To subscribe, call 605-673-2217.

 



Click Here To See More Stories Like This

Current Comments

0 comments so far (post your own)

Leave your comment:

Name:

Email:

Website:

Comments:


Enter the text as it is shown below:



Please enter text
This extra step helps prevent automated abuse of this feature. Please enter the characters exactly as you see them.
 

Note: Emails will not be visible or used in any way. Please keep comments relevant. Any content deemed inappropriate or offensive may be deleted.

Advanced Search

Keywords:


Filter Search:
Classified Ads
News Articles
Event Calendar
Archive

Date Range:
From:
To: