Early morning fire engulfs garage, shop
Published: Wednesday, October 14th, 2009
An early morning fire completely destroyed a garage and a machine shop in the Harney Street alley Tuesday, Oct. 13.
The fire is believed to have started in the northwest corner of the garage at the Michael Carr residence, before spreading to the shop at the Harold Pierce residence. Sean Carr said his brother, Chris, noticed something burning outside, and the two realized the garage was on fire. At that point they ran outside to get their dog out of the pen and notified their parents, who called 911.
Bill Bell, who was incident commander of the fire for the Custer Volunteer Fire Department, said the call came in at around 6:15 a.m., and the department was on scene 10 minutes later. When they arrived, the garage and sheds were fully involved with flames, so the strategy of the department became to protect the homes of the families.
“The occupied residences were our primary objective,”âï¿½ï¿½Bell said.
Available only in the print version of the Custer County Chronicle. To subscribe, call 605-673-2217.
Click Here To See More Stories Like This